Scripture: Romans 8:18-25 / Speaker: Mr Sinnappan
‘If so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.’ (Romans 8:17 KJV)
1. The reckoning of our sufferings
#For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. (Romans 8:18 KJV)
- Yes we will go through suffering & disappointment but don’t lose heart.
- Because we have a body of flesh.
- Because we live in a sinful world.
- Take sight away from around you & focus above.
“It is not merely that the glory is a compensation for the suffering; it actually grows out of the suffering. There is an organic relation between the two for the believer as surely as there was for the Lord” (F.F.Bruce on Eph 3:10)
2. The manifestation of the Sons of God
For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God. (Romans 8:19 KJV)
- Our bodies yearn from liberty from whatever we are suffering.
- Manifestation = display, show, reveal
- The raptured church will appear with Him.
3. The reassurance of Hope through vanity
For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope, (Romans 8:20 KJV)
- This life is full of of vanity, frustration & suffering.
- What matters is what is coming ahead – the hope that is in Christ Jesus
- Our hope is to wait for that blessing in:
4. The release into glorious liberty
Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. (Romans 8:21 KJV)
- Bondage of corruption caused by sin of Adam’s fall.
- Liberty with Christ from:
- Corruption to in corruption
- Dishonour to glory
- Weakness to power
- Natural to spiritual
- Earthly to heavenly
- Mortal to immortal
- Death to life
Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. (Hebrews 2:14-15 KJV)
5. The redemption of our body
For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now. And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body. (Romans 8:22-23 KJV)
- We may have a lot of queries:
- How far is heaven?
- How long will it take?
- What is rapture like?
- Will we recognize our loved ones?
- What we know is we will have a supernatural body that does things out physical body can do (2 Cor 5:8)
- We should not worry but trust in the Lord’s plan
- Like how a flower comes out from a seed
- Salvation 1st stage: redemption of the soul from sin
- Salvation final stage: redemption from the body from corruption upon death
6. The reality of the unseen hope
For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? (Romans 8:24 KJV)
- Seen things physical, material, decays, does not last.
- What cannot be seen is spiritual. Not bound by space, weight & time. Not temporal but eternal. (2 Pet 3:11)
- We know it’s real as Jesus Christ proved with resurrection. He met, spoke & ate with many.
7. The readiness with patience
- But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.
But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. (1 Corinthians 2:9 KJV)
Do you set your minds on things above instead of earth?