How many have committed yourself, God willing, to long term ministries in missions or in your local area?
As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” At once they left their nets and followed him. When he had gone a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John in a boat, preparing their nets. Without delay he called them, and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men and followed him. (Mark 1:16-20 NIV)
Is God still doing this today?
As he walked along, he saw Levi son of Alphaeus sitting at the tax collector’s booth. “Follow me,” Jesus told him, and Levi got up and followed him. (Mark 2:14 NIV)
– Started earning money as young as age 10 sold raffles for cake mother baked, funfair games carnival at backyard, etc.
– At age 15 owned own business selling portable fire extinguishers eventually with a large sales force & many agencies.
– Thus related better to the tax collector Levi than the fishermen.
– Called by God at a Billy Graham meeting.
– When called was sent by the Holy Spirit (& not by a committee).
– God did amazing things providing when called ranging from a diary farmer giving a vehicle, people buying books sold & even selling a fox roadkill hit by his car (back in the day in New Jersey).
– However faced tough times including car engine blowing up & running out of funds until did not even have money to spend the night in a motel.
– Yet God provided amazingly always.
– Got to Mexico the starting point of missions at age 19 & even though Spanish was weak.
– Not just prayer & faith that the money will come in. There is a need for fundraising.
– Especially for many ordinary people who want to be missionaries, as many have left as faced insufficient funding.
– Even George Müller was a great fundraiser, albeit indirectly, by hinting that he needed money & that you needed to give.
– Copied George Mueller & raised funds for OM.
– We all face many difficulties but most importantly is prayer.
However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace. (Acts 20:24 NIV)
1. The need is so huge (more than 1/3rd of world have NOT heard the Gospel).
2. There is a need for action together with prayer.
3. Challenge to serve long term for missions whether funding (if you’re good at business or raising money) or stepping out long term in faith in missions whether near or far.