On the Tenth commandment – Ex 20:17
Exodus 20:17 (NIV)
17 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”
The Ten commandments are for Israelites (believers). You need to make changes to align to Gods will. The 1st to 9th commandment are actions & easily visible. But the tenth commandment is a matter of heart & attitude. Breaking the tenth commandment can easily lead to breaking the other commandments.
Covetousness destroys our lives
- We can covet people, properties, possessions, etc
- Desire is not necessarily sinful BUT if take sinful/unethical actions to fulfill the desire
- “The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.” -Psalm 23
- Even when spending our own money, we need to examine its usage
Covetousness disregards/denies Gods laws
- Many put money before / instead of God
- Humans can kill for financial gains, humans can long for something so much until we steal
- We blaspheme God if believer lives life not doing what he/she says
- We are not to neglect parents as financial/physical burden
- We need to put God & Sunday worship 1st
No short cuts/avoiding responsibility/idolatry
- We are guilty of idolatry if we put other things 1st before God
- People want things easy & to work as little as possible without (more) responsibilities
We need to trust The Lord & turn our eyes into Jesus.
A rich person depends not on how much he/she has but how little he/she needs.